There are several components to this that I can identify from my own introspection and experience:
- A part of Success is finding freedom from worries. There are many ways to find this. It can come through religion, money, relationships, and work. I think it comes from either a feeling of control over things in your life or from a connectivity to things around you. It’s the feeling of being part of the whole and part of the ebb and flow of energies and life around you.
- Success is also health. You need energy to be able to enjoy your success and life. Without the energy to enjoy life, I don’t think anyone would count themselves as successful. Take time to smell the daisies, value all the moments, don’t create unnecessary stress and worries that can affect your health adversely.
- Success is finding healthy, supporting, loving relationships. I don’t think success can be achieved without someone to share it with whether that someone is either a spouse, parents, friends, or family. Success is not living in a vacuum. Success is a hard road and you need someone there to help share in both your ups and downs. It’s also two ways, not only do you need your friends and family there for your support, you also need to be there for your friends and family. It’s important to feel a valued member of society who has made a difference in the lives of others. Always thank and recognize the people who have helped you.
- Success is having realistic goals. Without realistic goals you set yourself to be frustrated and feeling stymied at every turn. Breaking things down into manageable steps is crucial for the feeling of going forward and for your peace of mind. Write your goals down and visualize how they will take place. Also review them regularly. If you really are breaking them down into small steps, it’s a great satisfaction seeing them marked off one step at a time.As a part of setting realistic goals, it is also important to talk to your peers and people you admire. Really listen to them, there’s a lot to be learned.
- I think the most important part of feeling successful is a confidence and belief in yourself and your capabilities. The route to whatever you define as success is not easy. There are a lot of hard knocks along the way and they probably will never end; however, if you feel that what you do is worthwhile, that you are contributing to society, that you are appreciated by the people that matter to you. You are successful.
I think a quote from Mark Victor Hansen, the author of Chicken Soup for the Soul speaks most directly to me about success.
“Don’t wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles, and less than perfect conditions. So what. Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident and more and more successful.”
Let me know your thoughts, comments, and ideas. How do you define success for yourself?